Facts about Africa
1. At the beginning of the 20th century, almost the entire territory of Africa was colonized by France, Germany, England, Spain, Portugal and Belgium. Only Ethiopia and Liberia were independent.
2. In Africa, live most of the rare animals that are not found elsewhere, for example, hippos, giraffes, okapi and others.
3. Africa has the largest desert in the world, the Sahara. Its area is larger than the US area.
4. There are 54 states in Africa.
5. In Africa, there are more than 2000 languages.
6. Africa has the lowest life expectancy. Women on an average live for 48 years, men for 50 years.
7. Africa has the second largest freshwater lake in the world- Lake Victoria.
8. Africa is the richest deposits of gold and diamonds.
9. Africa is the hottest continent in the world.
10. Africa is crossed by the equator and the prime meridian. Therefore, the continent can be called the most symmetrical of all existing.
11. Algeria has a unique lake. Instead of water, it contains real ink.
12. Africa produces half of all the gold that is sold in the world.
13. Nigeria is the fourth largest exporter of oil in the world and the largest oil producer in Africa.
14. More than 25 million people in Africa are considered HIV-positive.
15. The largest country in Africa is Sudan, and the smallest is the Seychelles.
16. The Sahara desert is increasing every month.
17. Sand dunes of the Sahara desert can be higher than Eiffel Tower.
18. Only in Africa does the insectivorous plant, Hydnora africana grow. The fruits of Hydnora africana are consumed by local people.
19. Unfortunately, the top 10 poorest countries in the world are in Africa.
20. More than 240 million Africans suffer from chronic malnutrition.
21. Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa and the second largest freshwater lake in the world.
22. Islam is the dominant religion in Africa and some follow Christianity.
23. Sand of the Sahara desert can be heated up to 80 degrees Celsius.
24. In Africa, lives the world’s largest land animal – an African elephant.
25. At the beginning of the 20th century, almost the entire territory of Africa was colonized by France, Germany, England, Spain, Portugal and Belgium.
26. The most common spoken language in Africa is Arabic.
27. Africa has the second longest river in the world – the Nile.
28. The highest mountain in Africa is Kilimanjaro.
29. Africa has more than 30% of the Earth’s mineral resources.
30. Africa is the second driest continent after Australia.
31. Approximately 90% of all malaria cases in the world occur in Africa.
32. Egypt is the most popular tourist destination in Africa.
33. Africa is the largest supplier of diamonds.
34. There are around 3000 ethnic groups living in Africa.
35. The most dangerous African animals are hippos.
36. The area of Africa is 29 million square kilometres. But four-fifths of the territory is occupied by deserts and tropical forests.
37. Some African tribes hunt hippopotamuses and use their meat for food.
38. Africa is home to the coldest volcano in the world Ol Doinyo Lengai.
39. Most of the best runners in the world come from one tribe in Kenya, known as Kalengjin.
40. The African population is 12% of the world’s population.
41. Lake Malawi contains the largest number of fish species
42. During the Second Congo War, more than 5.4 million people died! It is the second deadliest conflict after World War II.
43. On the Africa, more than 1 million Chinese citizens.
44. Equatorial Guinea is the richest country in Africa.
45. Many of the poorest countries are found in the Africa.
46. Africa is the oldest inhabited part of the planet Earth.
47. About 40% of the adult population in Africa do not have a secondary education.
48. Africa is the second largest continent of all; its area is about 22% of the entire land area occupied on earth.
49. In between 15 to19 century about 7-12 million Africans were transported to America as slaves.
50. Among the population of Africa are the smallest and the tallest people in the world.
51. Africa and Europe are separated by only 14 kilometres.
52. Women from the Mursi tribe wear lip plates.
53. The most populous country of the African continent is Nigeria.
54. There are more Internet users in New York than in all of Africa.
55. South Africa has the cheapest electricity in the world.
56. On average, people living in Africa have to walk about four kilometres to get water.
57. About 50% of Africans are under 25 years of age.
58. South Africa has three capitals: Cape Town, Pretoria, and Bloemfontein.
59. On the island of Madagascar live animals that are not found anywhere else.
60. South Africa is the second largest fruit export in the world.
61. The highest rate of albinism in the world is in Tanzania.
Facts about Africa