Gadgets has always been advancing throughout the years. It is very useful in our everyday lives, especially in our school works that makes our works easier. It has made a huge impact to a lot of us, especially on one’s lifestyle. Almost every students used their gadgets for their academic works and we all know that gadgets are reliable for every students because they know that it can help them in doing their works. In today’s modern generation, students are obsessed in using gadgets. So, as a result, students tend to use up their time on their gadgets rather than studying. In this livelihood of the students where they use their gadgets in their academic performance, this agenda in the campus concerns the well-being of the students wondering if they are too dependent with their gadgets. This apparently affects the student’s academic performance as well as its studying habits.
This study aims to know how gadgets affect the studies of Grade 11 STEM students in University of San Carlos. This study will show the researchers how the gadgets can affects the academic performance of the Grade 11 STEM students as said on the title. As we know, gadgets have become a part on our daily basis. Whether we like it or not, gadgets have occupied a lot of major positions in our lives. Though they were to make life more easier, it is an undeniable fact that some gadgets have negative influence and effects upon the quality of our day to day lives in some ways.
We have to find ways to reduce the negative impacts of gadgets to students. Education has undergone a revolutionary change with students being seen with laptops, tabs, most especially mobile phones. Modern technologies makes studying more fun and a lot easier to students. As long as students don’t become abusive or fanatics when it comes to gadgets, we don’t think that they could have a bad influence or a bad effects on students. A negative effect of these gadgets on students can be the fact that they can become obsessive and neglect everything else, like their social life, family, and friends. Over-use of gadgets presents whole range of problems which may interfere with a student’s ability to learn and attend to lessons.
A. What are the advantages and disadvantages of students using gadgets in their academic performance?
In this objective, it questions the advantages and disadvantages of a student using gadgets in their academic performance. Gadgets are useful for the students in their academic performance. In every agenda discussed, there are advantages and disadvantages to the student’s usage of gadgets in his/her academic performance. In the end of the research, this objective should be answered through the responses given by the respondents themselves, the Grade 11 STEM students.
B. In what way do gadgets affect the academic performance of a student?
In this objective, it questions how do the gadgets, which are being used daily, affect the academic performance of a student. Now, there are different ways on how the student will use their gadgets that will affect their academic performance. In the end of this research, this objective should be answered with each student having their own opinion on what way will their gadgets affect their academic performance.
III. Significance of the Study
This study is about the effects of gadgets to students in their academic performance for this school year 2017-2018 in University of San Carlos (Talamban Campus).
• The importance of this study is to point out the impact of the students using their gadgets in their academic performance together with its effects. This study aims to determine the effects and obtain a probable solution to the effect.
• In our research, it mainly benefits the Grade 11 STEM students because our research is limited to the STEM track. It does not only benefit the STEM students alone. Our research also benefits the other tracks as well like HUMSS, ABM, TVL Arts and Design, etc.
• It also benefits the parents and the teachers. For the parents, our research can help their students control their usage on gadgets in their homes and during their family bonding. For the teachers, our research will help the students be more determined to learn in their classes because our research makes the students spend less time on their phones and more time on their academics.
• This study will highlight the advantages and disadvantages of the students using their gadgets in their academic performance. Not only will this study focus on its advantages and disadvantages, but it will also focus on the effects that affect the student’s academic performance.
• To the future generation of students to motivate them how to use gadgets to fully determined and reach their own skills and contribute to the world.
• The reason why this study is significant to us is to help determine the perspective of the students when they use their gadgets in their academic performance. We would want to know the mental aspect of the student when they use their gadgets that will affect their academic performance. The student’s thinking ability when facing with their gadgets will possibly cause a problem to their thinking ability.
• Lastly, to the future researcher, this paper will surely contribute to our rich bulk of literature and body of knowledge. Future researchers especially those who will conduct study on the same or similar framework will gain insights from the substance of this research.
IV. Scope and Delimitation of the Study
The focus of this study is to determine the effects of the students using their gadgets in their academic performance. The aim of this study is to investigate the effect caused to the student and find the best solution to the dilemma. This is limited to the objectives of the study. The attainment of this study is dependent to the answers of the respondents.
In our research, we chose the Grade 11 STEM students with a total of 100 students for our research.
In our research, we have three different data needed specifically for this research:
? the number of hours that students use on a daily basis
This data will check on how many hours students use their gadgets on a daily basis.
? the number of students who have a positive impact in using their gadgets
This data will check how many students have gained a positive impact in their academic performance with the aid of their gadgets.
? the number of students who have a negative impact in using their gadgets
This data will check how many students have gained a negative impact in their academic performance with the aid of their gadgets.
In our research, we use these three tools to gain answers from our respondents for our research:
In the surveys, this is specifically for the first data shown above in the parameter. Students will answer how many hours they use their gadgets on a daily basis.
In the questionnaires, this is for both the second and last data shown above in the parameter. Students will answer the questionnaires determining their opinions on if using their gadgets have either made a positive impact or a negative impact in their academic performance.
In the interviews, it is also for both the second and last data shown above in the parameter. We will interview the students on their reasons why using their gadgets have either made a positive or negative impact in their academic performance.